Friday, August 6, 2010

Welcome

This is my story, my journey as a Mom.  I'm a single mom by choice, I have an amazing little boy who was born Dec 9, 09.  It has been an interesting time so far, he's almost 8 months old and I've learned a lot.  The main things I've learned all come down to following my own intuition, doing what feels right to me.  I've done a lot of things that you aren't supposed to do, and so far he's healthy and happy. 
One of the hardest things was during the first few weeks when he was colicy, he cried so much, and hardly slept, it was very difficult.  I finally one night flipped him onto his tummy to sleep, and he slept 5 hours straight!  He's been a tummy sleeper ever since.  Now that he can roll every which way he sleeps all over, on his side, back or tummy.  He really gets into it too, I've watched him throw himself around in that crib...so cute!
He's been a formula baby from the start, breastfeeding was not going to happen.  He has certainly thrived on it, and does love his "baba's"  He's a big eater too, holding steady at about 36 oz a day for the past 3 months or so, somedays he has an extra bottle in there.  We had to try a couple formulas to find one that works for us. 
At 5 months I started him on solids, I figured his having 2 or 3 teeth at that point meant he could eat...he did ok with the purees and cereals but it didn't feel right to me.  Then I read about baby led weaning, and man that just felt right!  Now he eats what I do, and loves it all.  He's got a varied diet and will have steamed veggies and turkey meat loaf for supper, fruits for breakfast, cheese and cucumbers for lunch...all kinds of things.  He even likes hummus!  Ice cream is a favourite, he doesn't get it that often though. 
About 2 months ago I started to really think about cloth diapers, and a month ago I did a trial.  I found a couple in the trial that I really liked, and off we went!  It's actually a lot of fun, and he looks so cute!!  I'm sure I've spent too much money on these things but oh well...I'll have to have another baby to make up the cost.  It was hard to find diapers that fit him in the rise.  So far we like the Flips, SweetPea Pockets, and I have a couple others we're going to try. 
I've carried him from the start, first in a stretchy wrap, then a pocket sling, tried a ring sling and eventually found the ergo and scootababy...love both of those!  I carry him in the stores on my hip, though he's starting to get big to carry, and is starting to grab at things as we go down the aisles...I'm sure we'll work it out.
So there it is, intro to me :)  I'm more of a crunchy mommy than I thought I would be. It's funny that everything I'm doing is labelled somewhere and written up, called attachment parenting, natural parenting, even the baby led weaning that is how I wanted to do things but didn't think I was allowed to.  So I'm trusting my instincts and learning to follow my intuition...and I'm sure we'll both be happy for it :)

No comments: