Wednesday, July 10, 2019

A New Summer Camp

This week Jackson is attending a new day camp. I wanted him to try some out this summer in preparation for next summer when daycare won't be an option. And because I think he finds daycare boring, if also familiar. I signed him up for an adventure, swimming camp this week, and next week he has an active gamer camp. This week, he is exhausted! Which I take as a very good sign. He is playing, being active, swimming and has made some friends. He falls asleep quickly, and is in an agreeable mood most of the time. Apparently exhaustion is the key to us getting along...

I am very glad I pushed him to try the new camps, wish I could switch his last week of daycare to the other camp but I've already paid for daycare so it's not going to happen this week. Perhaps though it will be an option for March Break or a week at Christmas, we'll see!

He was very nervous, and anxious, about the new camp. So we talked it through, and he felt better about it. When I dropped him off the first day there were a few tables with activities set up, and a few kids already playing. I saw him getting ready to ask not to go or for me to stay but he took a breathe and went to a table. When I asked him about it later he said he doesn't like to join a group already playing and prefers to have people join him or invite him to join. That's fair. When I picked him up he was playing soccer with a few other boys, and wanted to stay a bit longer. I'm very glad he had fun, it makes the week a lot easier! Hopefully next week goes as well. Having this experience does have a benefit for him as well, he knows he can do it now.

We are working on his anxiety. I got a workbook and we have been going through it. The past few nights he has been too tired, so we'll wait until he's not so tired to keep going. I am not sure it is really helping, but he is asking to keep going so I hope so! We do worry time, and spend 15 minutes or so talking about whatever worries him. We'll have to deal with flying soon, at least before the trip.

And then next trip, in winter. I'll have to wait and see. Do we do another trip? the one I already have booked or something less expensive? Or do we save the money, perhaps move next summer, or maybe plan for a baby? It's possible, but expensive. I am glad to be having at least this one more trip with him, and really enjoying it. Then I will see what the future holds.

Work has been a struggle, but my boss is off for 5 or 6 weeks, and I will also be off, so I won't see her for almost two months! Thank goodness. When I return I will see if anything has changed, and then find something else. I do wish I could stay in the location, but if not, I will figure it out.

No comments: