Sunday, August 5, 2012

A nice (short) vacation and my new obsession

I booked a week off from work.  We went to visit my parent's and it was a nice break.  But I have to say the "terrible two's" are no fun at all.  I am losing it more than I'd like and feel like I need a month off to calm myself down.  But of course that isn't an option right now so I will hopefully manage with a few long weekends between now and the end of the year, when I am off for just over a week at Christmas... less than 6 months away! 

Jackson has certainly been trying my patience, and I've been losing it.  He runs off, scares me, hits, hits my poor little cat with arthritis, pulls her tail, she can't even move fast enough to get away from him.  He doesn't listen, and I am just at a loss.  I mean I know he's two and testing his boundaries and all that, but now he is forced to ride in the cart because he runs off, and up and down the aisles screaming and looking for "toys".  He torments the animals, throws things on the floor, and generally doesn't listen.  I am tired.  I know I am stressed, partly because of all the changes at work, and partly because I just need a break.  Even the trip to my parent's was not so restful.  And on the way home the check engine light came on... great... I'm not ready to get a new car!  Not that I wouldn't love one but I'm not ready.

I know my credit is improved, and I spoke to the bank before my holidays.  There were two things to be cleaned up on my report and then I'd qualify for a mortgage (if I had the down payment).  I've called about one and am supposed to be looking into the other one, but am secretly hoping it just goes away.  I know.  I'll get my report again in a couple weeks, once the one issue has time to be resolved and then see where I stand. One interesting thing, the banker mentioned the HBP, yeah I know, put money in my RRSP and use up to $25k as the down payment/closing costs. I currently have $2500 in there lol, but am expecting another $11k late in the year through a work contract thing.  He mentioned I could use an RRSP loan to top it up... get the money back when I file my taxes of course, and be able to use the full $25k.  Interesting.  I had not thought of that so it was a good trip to the bank.

And my new obsession... coupons.  Seriously.  I'm a little obsessed, ok a lot.  I have a coupon organizer and am on coupon trains, trading with people.  I am looking for bargains and matching up the coupons I have to the sales to get the best deals.  Today I got Palmolive dish soap for 99 cents, degree deodorant for $1.50, purex action pacs for $2.99 and dove body wash for $1.99.  I also found some bagged lettuce on sale for 50 cents, and dug through to find the latest expiry date hidden at the back :-)  All in all, I'm saving money. 

This month I am trying to use my freezer stock up. I have a lot of food in there and no room for any more, so I am eating what I have, the only food items I'm allowed to buy are fresh produce and milk.  I have enough of everything else to last the month. At least.  I wish that coupons worked as well here as they do in the US, I can't stack them or double them or anything like that, but I can use them on sale items, and can price match at Walmart, which I have not yet done because it intimidates me, but I will.  I am riding coupon trains to get my wish list coupons, my wish list which I need to revamp or I'm going to end up with 20 of the same coupon that I'll never be able to use.  And I am building up a stock pile of things like toilet paper, paper towels, shampoo and toothbrushes.  Things that don't really go bad and I can get a really good deal on.

I am also really using my shopper's points, or rather really saving them up to get some nice Christmas presents, I plan to get a free Wii, and possibly a few other gifts at that time of year.  I am learning all these things, and really enjoying it in the process.  As far as obsessions go, at least this one is saving me money!  I am carefully not buying things just because I have a coupon, but taking care to get things I will use and need. 

All of this has also cause me to purge and clean my house, also a work in progress, but I got rid of 5 bags of clothes, made a lot of room in my kitchen, both in the cupboards and on the counters, and will be tackling the baby items soon.  Those are a bit of a sore spot though, since I think I will need them for another baby, but see no way I'll be able to afford to have another one. Though with coupons I'm sure I could get a lot of stuff free or nearly free lol.  I am hoping my grocery budget will be greatly helped through all of this.  And yes I am buying healthy things too, or will be once my freezer is used up.  I have coupons for fresh chicken, salad, eggs, milk, and cheese, not just snacks and junk food.  Though I have a few of those too ;-)  And speaking of the freezer,I'd love to get a bigger one, but won't until my credit card is paid off, and I can pay cash for it.  So it'll be awhile.  Sigh.  It would come in so handy to be able to stock up on some great deals!  Oh well... I'm saving money either way. 

No comments: