Friday, December 13, 2013

The minds of children

Jackson has a very good imagination. He comes up with things that I find hilarious, and occasionally it causes some problems. Usually at bedtime when his mind is going with something he's got in there. Last night it was the Grinch. I guess the read the story during school and he was worried that the Grinch was going to come and steal our Christmas. It caused him to not go to sleep, but it took awhile to get it out of him. So we now have a date to watch the old cartoon, hopefully it will show him that the Grinch only bothers the Who's and also that he turns good in the end.

Jackson does not like bad guys. He has asked that we not watch anything else with a bad guy. He is going to Catholic school and at this time of year they are talking about Jesus a lot. Jackson knows the basics, he was born and he died. We were talking about it, and he asked me if Jesus was killed by a bad guy. I confirmed this was the case and he told me that black spiderman is a bad guy so perhaps he did it. While trying not to laugh I told him I didn't think that was right.

It is pretty amusing to realize what he has going through his mind. Pretty amazing too. He is almost constantly thinking about something, his mind working to figure everything out. And learning! He learns so much. He was funny tonight, he can add same numbers, so 1+1 or 2+2, but ask him to add different number, like 1+2, and he has a hard time. So we've been talking about that. Tonight we figured out all the ways you could add up numbers to equal 7. He was pretty amazed. It is incredible to see how much he is learning now in school. I know it will increase even more as the year goes on, and next year when he starts full days. I know I'm biased but I think he's pretty smart, and much like me will be good with math and sciences, rather than writing and reading.

Tomorrow we are going to a kid's workshop at a local hardware place. It's free and the kids make a snowman napkin holder, which will be a gift for the grandparents for Christmas. I thought it sounded like fun, and am hoping he does well with it. He doesn't have a lot of patience for doing crafts and such things, he tends to scribble, finish and that's it. So we'll see how it goes, at least it's free, and a two hour time filler for the weekend. It is supposed to snow a lot this weekend, so we'll get it all done before that starts, the craft thing and some groceries.

On the baby planning front, I have been reading a lot about prenatal and pregnancy nutrition. Interesting article about magnesium and morning sickness. Because I had it quite badly the first time I'm interested in preventing it if I can. So I will be starting to take it Monday before bed, provided it arrives by then. I believe it's supposed to help me sleep as well, which would be nice. I am tempted to try giving some to Jackson :-)  I will be starting CoQ10 closer to when I plan to make my tries, partly because it's kind of expensive, and partly because I don't want to waste the effort if I have no chance any way. I'm already taking a multi and folic acid. I will probably add in B12 and vitamin D, which I think I may need in the winter any way.

Right now I think I agree with Jackson, Christmas is too far away, and some things take too long to arrive.

No comments: