Saturday, December 24, 2016

Christmas Eve

I think I like it better when Christmas Eve is during the week, so we don't have the whole day to figure out what to do. He came to work with me yesterday, so that took up lots of time. Then today we didn't do a whole lot. There was some Christmas movie and TV watching, We had a nice dinner, one of Jackson's favourites, steak and noodles. He has some simple tastes. We left out some cookies and water, because we always leave water instead of milk. Then we sprinkled some reindeer food outside on the front snow piles. We watched Santa on NORAD for awhile, then I convinced him to go up to bed. That is where things kind of fell apart.

After reading a story, brushing teeth and settling down, he decided that what he had asked Santa for was not what he really wanted, and he started to cry. Now being mommy has an in with the big guy, I kind of felt what he said he was asking for wasn't really what he'd want. So while he is getting what he asked for, he also got a cool hockey table set that he will hopefully like. I did promise, so he'd go to sleep, that after his trip, we'd look at getting him what he really wanted. I guess we'll see how that goes!

We are going to my sister's for dinner, and I made the wild rice casserole today to take with us. It seems to taste pretty good, Jackson was pleased. So at least we'll have that, depending on what else she does for dinner. It's always a bit of an adventure! My parents have not come to visit, they did drop off their gift for Jackson at Thanksgiving, and I bought my own from them. I have a couple things to open, but not much! The day is mostly about Jackson. For my sister's families, I got my nieces gifts, but no one else. I made a deal with my sister. It always feels silly, getting gifts for her and her husband that I have no idea if they will even really like or use. And I'd rather just get gift cards, practical stuff.

I do find this time of year strange. I love the excitement Jackson has for the whole thing, but also feel like it's too much. So much stuff. I don't like the lunches out with the team, or getting gifts for people at work. I mean I like a lot of people I work with (not all of them of course!) but I don't consider most of them really friends. It's weird to me, I guess I am just not that type of person. It also always makes me a little sad that I don't have a bigger family. I love that we go to my sister's for dinner, but I wish my own home had more people in it. I don't really think I want a spouse, at all. But a couple more kids? Perhaps that would be fun. I hate that we watch shows about families, and the kids all fight and then they start getting along, It's always so sweet. Ah well.

We got news at work about our back pay, apparently we will be getting it starting January 11th, which is awesome. Because I took some unpaid leave I may not get mine then. I hope I do. That extra money would be awesome on the trip but even without it, we will have a great cruise. Everything is sorted and paid for, well the big items are any way. A couple more things I will pay for this coming week, and then it will just be the excursions, which I can decide on once we're on the ship, based on how much money we have and what we feel like doing. We are doing  a swim with sting rays thing in Grand Cayman, that is a little scary, but should be fun. Costa Maya will be a beach day. and Cozumel is the one up for debate, inexpensive beach day, or fancier beach day

Time for bed I guess, Santa won't come unless I'm asleep right? :-) Plus kiddo will be up extra early I'm sure.

No comments: