Saturday, June 23, 2018

Donor Eggs?

I haven't really let go of the idea of expanding my family. I am not at an age where I think doing IVF will be effective. And it would be expensive. So my options are limited. I have been looking at donor egg programs. To do so here in Canada would be very expensive with the eggs coming from the USA. I believe it would be about $30K for one attempt. I know there is a program in the US nearby where I could have a guaranteed baby through a donor egg program, and it would cost me about $50K (though I am not sure if that includes everything, and if it is in USD or CAD, which makes a big difference). I have also been looking into programs in Greece and Mexico. Both countries seem to have robust programs, at a significantly lower cost, but of course there is significant travel involved. There is a program in Syracuse, which is only about 3 hours away, so that is also an option I will explore.

In any case, any of these options will mean no trips for a bit, well unless I go to Mexico I guess! And they all require me to save a bit more than I have been. But I think I can do that, if it's $10K or something along those lines, that is doable. Even if it means no trips for awhile.

My parents have moved closer, they are about an hour away now. And we've been to visit twice already. Their new house is quite nice, and just about a perfect size. It is nice that we can go visit for lunch, or a few hours. Hopefully Jackson will still be able to go there for an occasional sleep over. Once everything is settled. They are still having some work done in the basement.

I am not sure what I will do, whether I will move forward or not. I am focusing on some weight loss, saving money, and cleaning/decluttering the house to make room for another member if I decide to move ahead with that. I have considered adoption as well, but it honestly seems like more work! I guess we'll see what happens. It's nice that I could do 18 months of mat leave, and that the daycare in Jackson's school has a new toddler and preschool program, it starts at 18 months.

No comments: