Saturday, June 22, 2019

The game console test

I took away the xbox completely for a week in mid-May. It was taken away and put in a box in the basement. He was calmer, and after the week I let him have it back upstairs. But with strictly limited time to use it, and the threat of putting it away again. I was supposed to take away all his devices for 3 weeks, but after the one day he couldn't have his tablet when he completely lost it and threatened me, and himself, I relented and allowed him to keep the tablet but with less time on it.

He would use it on the weekend for a little, maybe an hour or two playing with friends. Things were going better, we watch shows together in the evening, we talk, he's been playing outside with friends.

The past few days I have let him play a particular game (not the one that I think cause so many problems before) and today it was too much. The game wasn't doing what he wanted and he lost him temper, ending with him throwing the controller into the kitchen where the back came off, the batteries scattered and much yelling and name calling ensued. He told me I had to find the piece that he can't, though I am not the one who threw it nor the one who caused the tantrum. I was bearing the brunt of it though. Called many names, and generally spoken to in a rude manner.

So no more machine today, and likely not tomorrow either. I wish he'd go out and play but his friends are away for the day so there's no one to play with, and his other friends live further away and aren't allowed to go out riding bikes without parents.

I'm sure we'll have a rough afternoon now, but he's upstairs in his room to calm down.

My thoughts now are he still isn't ready to play on the machine. And I'd like it to go in the basement again. It probably will when holidays start, because it ruined last summer for us and I won't let that happen again.

I do have a meeting with the school psychologist on Monday to hear the results of his assessment, and see what plans might be put in place for grade 5. From there, we'll see what happens!

No comments: