Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Laundry day

I am so tired of doing laundry.  For the past 16, almost 17 months, I have done probably a load of laundry a day.  I've forgotten loads in the washer and had to rewash them, forgotten loads in the dryer and had to re fluff them.  I've forgotten to add soap, added too much, not felt like putting things away and left them in the basket until it's time for the next load to be done.  Having a child, they don't tell you this, adds an incredible amount of laundry!

When he was new, he was constantly spitting up, and leaking other ways lol, and causing dirty blankets, clothes, just about everything.  I washed a lot of clothes.  Even now, his diaper sometimes leaks, especially over night, or his bottle, or he just plain drools a lot.  Sometimes he just gets dirty, crayons, paint, sparkles.  And then of course there are the diapers.  I switched him to cloth diapers 9 months ago, and have no real regrets about doing so.  It's fun, they're cute, and I never run out of diapers or have to run to the store to pick up more.  But I also have to do at least 3 loads of diapers a week.  And that's a tricky business.

Washing cloth diapers isn't really hard, and I am lucky to have soft water, a top loader, and haven't had any "stink" issues...yet.  I dump them all in the washer, run a cold rinse, then add a scoop of Nellies soap and run a hot wash/cold rinse cycle.  I use the most water the machine will do.  When they're done I throw them in the dryer on medium heat for about 30 to 45 minutes, then hang them up to finish drying.  I like to use the dryer because it adds some fluff to the diapers, so they are softer and nice.  But three times a week, well it's a lot of laundry.

I also of course have to do my own clothes.  Once a week :-)  I remember fondly when it was just me and I did one load of laundry a week, maybe two lol.  Now it's at least 7 a week.  The funny, or sad?, thing is that this past long weekend, while visiting my parents, the most relaxing part of it all was that my mom did all the laundry.  And it was so nice!

1 comment:

DannieA said...

gotta love moms.....I completely hear you on the laundry thing....ahem as my laundry room is piling up...cough, cough...must go now