Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Who needs a man!

I am quite proud of myself.  I fixed my leaky toilet.  Now this probably doesn't sound like a big deal to most people but it is something to me.  This is in fact the third time I have fixed toilet problems on my own.  I replaced two broken flushers (in different toilets) before this.  It's kind of funny too since I rent and could call the landlord to come and fix these things.  It just seems like such a waste of time, and stress for my dog who would be home alone while they were coming in to do this.  All in all it isn't like the parts cost a lot either.  So I figured it out and went and got the parts and voila!  No more leaky toilet!  I am so proud of me :-)

I kind of like the feeling of independance it brings to fix things myself.  Even little things like when I set up my wireless home network, it was easy when I followed the directions.  I put together some storage shelves for all of Jackson's toys, I even managed to lower the crib mattress on my own!  And that was tricky because you really need someone to hold it in place while you screw it back in place.  I've even put together 2 strollers on my own.  And installed two car seats! 

It's funny really, to think of all these "manly" jobs, and realize how there are such stereotypes in the world.  I sometimes wonder if Jackson will have to face these, to be the man and kill the spiders, mow the lawn, get the oil changed in the car.  I worry that people will judge him if he decides he likes to wear pink, or have his nails painted.  And what if he likes to dance? or gymnastics?  What if he doesn't like hockey or want to play a sport?  To me, well I don't care what he wants to do or not do.  Except that hockey is expensive, cold and often really early in the morning!  I really just want him to be happy, and to do what makes him happy. 

Like me.  I'm certainly not traditional.  I'm not married, but I have a child.  I play an online role playing game, and quite enjoy it.  I like comedies and action movies, sci fi and vampire movies.  I do not like romance movies, unless they're funny, and am not that fond of historical dramas.  I've had one serious relationship in my life, and even in that I was the one paying the bills, taking care of things.  I often think if it wasn't for my son I'd have ended up as the "crazy cat lady", though I do have a dog as well. 

So yes, who needs a man?  I need part of him in order to have another child, but not all the drama that goes along with it.  I am a woman!  I can do whatever a man can. Roar!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree! Gender stereotypes are stupid. In this day and age we all need to be independent and capable of doing everything.