Saturday, January 18, 2014

Toys toys toys

Jackson has a lot of toys. Pretty much everything he's ever really asked for, he gets. I know, not the best plan! So we've changed it now. He gets an allowance now, if he earns it. He has two chores to do. Everyday he has to make his bed and tidy his toys at the end of it. He then earns 50 cents, and if he does all 7 days he earns a bonus 50 cents, for a grand total of $4. Since he's 4 it makes sense to me. He also has some money from birthday and Christmas gifts.  Today we went to Walmart, first time in the new year. Normally this would be a big fight over toys. This time I told him in advance he would have to pay for any toys he wanted to get himself. He decided to bring $10, I told him that he might want to bring some money for the tax too, so we put it in my pocket (he didn't have any today).  At the store we went up and down a few aisle's in search of the perfect toy. Finally he settled on two sets of emergency vehicles. They were $5 each so he had exactly the right amount. And happiness was had, fun times playing with the new toys.

I am hoping it will help teach him some more about money. As well as about earning money. He doesn't have to buy his food, clothes or anything, just any new toys. He'll still get gifts at certain holidays, but he has more than enough toys for one (or two!) little boy. I am also trying to limit my own purchases, buying groceries is obviously needed but I don't need anything else myself. So I'm also cut off. For now at least.

Bed time is still a struggle for me. My son doesn't like to sleep. He claims when he is an adult he will stay up all night and never sleep. I laugh because I am an adult and I'd love to get more sleep :-) But of course he does eventually sleep. He likes to come downstairs at least once to snuggle on the couch while I watch something on TV. This has meant I can't start watching my normal shows until he's well asleep just in case he comes back downstairs. Bones can get a little graphic, as well as all the other shows I watch. I normally only have time to watch one I've pvr'd now. So it takes me a long time to get caught up on a week's worth of shows.  But it means I get to bed around 9 or 9:30 which is much easier to get up at 5. I have been trying to focus on me, on my own reactions and controlling them, in order to give him what he needs. I am still working on my own reactions, but it has only been a few weeks that I've even really been trying to focus on that, so I think I'm doing ok, always getting better.

I have so far lost 6 pounds, not too bad but a long way to go!  I think I've finally found my "groove" with a diet or way of eating though. It's hard, I came close to having some of his popcorn tonight, it was there, so easy to grab a bit. Just a habit to break I guess. I had some fabulous homemade kale chips instead. I am still taking all my supplements, started CoQ10 this week as well. I was going to wait on that but figured it wouldn't hurt to start sooner. I also added in vitamin D, I get winter blues, so I'm hoping it will help. Though what would really help is spring ;-)

Here I am on Saturday night, around 9pm and I would like to go to bed!  There is a movie on at 9 I want to see, but I'm taping it. The problem is finding 2 hours to watch. Sleep is such a priority for me lately. I am hoping as I lose weight and learn what I should eat to feel better, I will gain more energy. Jackson has two birthday parties to attend coming up. I am considering using a Kids Night Out as well. It's Friday nights from 6 to 9 pm for $15 which is less than I'd pay for a babysitter. I could drop him off, see a movie perhaps? Do something any way, and he'd run and play and watch a movie as well. The only restriction is the kids have to be potty trained. It's very tempting.

No comments: