Friday, August 28, 2015

Summer wind down

Summer is winding down. I have about 11 days before I'm back at work, and 10 before kiddo goes back to school. It is a little bit sad really. I feel like we haven't done anything, just hang out and hit the parks. We've gone swimming 3 times, down to visit my parents for awhile, and basically not much else. None of the grand plans I had. See I suck at money. I like to spend and shop. Sometimes I guess I do more of that than I should. So we are on strict budget while we get to a point where I can get us out of this. Hopefully next summer we'll be able to do a few of the things I wanted to do this year. And every year, be able to do more. I am (not so patiently) waiting for my union to sign a contract, we've been close to 3 years in negotiations, hopefully we'll get one this fall. Once we sign, I'll be getting 3 years of back pay, a pretty nice raise and a pay out for a part of the contract that should result in a down payment for a house. At that point, I'll have to decide what to do.

We like to go look at model homes, and dream. Jackson is obsessed with wanting a balcony. And a boat, but we aren't getting that. For the house, he wants a balcony for some reason I don't really understand. For myself, I want a house! The problem comes with what do I want, a new house? Built just for us with the finishes I like. Or an older, usually less expensive, place. Do we stay in this school zone or move to a new area? Change schools and daycare, perhaps be closer to where I work? Do I care about having a yard? Would a balcony be enough? We no longer have the dog, and as long as we are near a park we can get the running around outside out of his system. We never really use the backyard here any way. We have cats, so vertical space would be nice, if we own I can do shelves for the kitties. Why do I even think about this now? I mean it's going to be months before anything happens, I suspect November for the contract, then at least 2 months to get the money and 3 months for it to sit in savings so I can use it for the down payment. Avoiding taxes on the money so it ends up as enough to use. That means maybe next summer.

So until then we are on budget lock down, paying off as much debt as I can, saving some, and sticking to the budget. Kiddo keeps asking for toys, but has been told no more until his birthday, only 4 months to go! He is quite stubborn, but he will survive, as will I. I also like to get things, clothes, nail polish, makeup, cat stuff, oh I do like to shop! I keep in mind that once I get the debt gone, and buy the house, I will have a bunch of extra money to spend on whatever I really want, like all those things I like to shop for. And trips, cruises, and Disney.

All in all, it means nothing really fun for the next while, at least not if it costs too much money. But yes, I will still take my summer vacation again next year, as I did this summer. Even if it is a pay cut. It is worth it, and I am not looking forward to going back to work. I still have my paid vacation time I can use in the winter, even if we aren't going on a trip anywhere.

So for our last week off we have no weekend plans, we'll probably head to a park, maybe take a walk in the woods. Monday we are meeting one of Jackson's friends at the park for a play date. Tuesday we are going to my friend's house for a play date. Wednesday no plans, Thursday and Friday I will send him to daycare, to kind of get back on track for school. Then it's a long weekend and then boom, back to school. I think kiddo has enjoyed the time off with me, I have enjoyed it with him, though I also admit I enjoyed the two days I had alone this week. It is sometimes nice to have a little break and just watch grown up tv, do nothing, and get things done.

Playing at the park

No comments: