Saturday, December 1, 2018

Maybe adoption

Jackson has been doing marginally better at school. He still does not like his math teacher, and to be honest, after speaking to her, I'm not impressed either. Based on it being his worst class, and his complaints about not understanding what she wants him to do or why, I asked her to call me to explain what the purpose of the math exercises they are doing is, what is he supposed to be learning. So she called me, and started off with the fact he is rude to her. She doesn't set the curriculum, and if he has a problem answering the questions he should ask for help. Well I talked to him about it, and he says he does but she just tells him to read the question again. Based on talking to her, I know she doesn't like my son. No problem, people don't always like one another, I get it! I have people at work I don't really like either but as an adult I know I have to work with them so I behave politely! She on the other hand, being the adult, the teacher with (I assume) training in how to deal with students, chooses instead to punish him any time he asks questions or disagrees with her. I'm not impressed, and I called to speak with the VP. Not sure it's done any good. I trust they will contact me again in future, but it was very frustrating to me.

At this point in the school year it isn't like I can change schools, even waiting until the end of the year is tricky. He has friends there, changing for the sake of changing seems silly. But then again, he has had a few bad years. Grade 2 he had a flighty new teacher who was all about letting the kids sit where they wanted, and I don't think he actually learned anything. Grade 3 he started out good but ended up with a teacher who was terrible. We got through it and I didn't bring it up with the school because it was a few months left and I thought we'd just manage. Now I am regretting not bringing those concerns up at the time, since the school is now basically blaming him and not the situation. We shall see what happens I guess, I don't want to change schools (and daycares) but I will do what needs to be done for him.

We went to the Christmas party at school yesterday. We sat with another mom and her kids, Jackson plays with her older son in daycare. She is also a single mom, through adoption! She has 3 kids (9, 5 & 3), and is hoping to add a fourth. I was able to talk to her a bit about it, and I think it's something I'd like to investigate. I know I need to pay off some credit card debt, and clean up the house, perhaps get rid of some stuff. I am not sure what they would say about my 4 pets. But I can only start and see what happens. I am also not sure what Jackson would really think, or how his current issues could impact anything. I think I'd prefer to adopt an "older" child, age 2 to 6 I think. And I think I can say I'd prefer another boy? Not sure on that one. Based on legislation I believe I can take 61 weeks off for parental leave, I don't think I'd get a full top up from work but the first 30 weeks or so would be.

I have thought about it before but been scared to try, now, after talking to the other mom, perhaps it might not be as difficult as I thought. Maybe it could work. And I'd get what I want, a bigger family, while taking in a child who needs a home and love. Also giving Jackson a sibling. Someone to play with, and to grow up with, and to have when I am gone. I'll have some work to do. I think I will take a couple months to work on cleaning up the house, decluttering, and paying off some debt. Then get started and see where it goes! Come April my vacation bank is reset so I would have time available to take off for parenting courses and such.

No comments: