Thursday, May 14, 2020

New World and What I Miss

It feels like a brave new world, like we are in a transition from the way things were to the way they will be. It's a strange thing, Once in a lifetime (I hope). Everything has changed, yet really so much hasn't. At least in our house. I am very lucky to still be employed, still be getting paid. I do sometimes wish I didn't have to work, but other times it's nice to have something to keep me busy. I am lucky, I can still pay my bills, buy us food, though that is costing more than ever, and we still get to order delivery. 

Obviously some things has changed, I don't get to grocery shop in multiple places, certain stores are closed, some are pick up only, schools are closed. I find some things fine to deal with, and others are frustrating. I am fine with pick up orders, I tend to prefer delivery any way. I miss a few things, I miss being able to see my parents and to hug them. I miss my kid going to school and being able to play with his friends. The things I miss that are just frustrations are hair cuts, and puppy grooming. Which is just reopening so that is good. 

Things I don't miss, commuting, driving to work and paying for parking. I don't miss actually going in to work, though I do miss seeing my friends, and going for coffee. Some things at work would be easier if I could have a conversation in person with certain people. But in general, I am able to do my work from home quite easily. I do need a better set up, perhaps an actual desk and chair would be nice. A second monitor would make things easier for sure. 

I am enjoying being at home though, it's easy to roll out of bed and get on the computer, breakfast happens when I'm hungry. I can get up and move around the house, take the dog for walks. When my day is done I can have a nap or go for a bike ride with my kid. Being an introvert, I don't mind being away from other people. I am guessing I will have a hard time re-integrating when this time is over. Though based on conversations with my boss I don't think I will be forced back to the office any time soon, and even then I think it will look different. Perhaps I will only have to go in once or twice a week. Much better from my perspective. I may even be able to avoid using much of my vacation time, perhaps in the winter I'll be able to go on a trip. I hope. 

It's been 8, or 9?, weeks since this all started. I feel like I should have really upped my workouts, focused on my eating. I've been trying but find it hard, especially the evenings. Even if I am not hungry I will find reasons to snack. I need to focus and really try to use the time I have, in isolation, to do what I need to, to pay attention to what I eat, and to move more. My goal for this week has been to move 250 steps each of the hours I'm at my desk, it works out to 7 hours but I should probably start it earlier and get 8 hours in. I already have been doing 5 days of workouts or activity each week. Usually that is walking the dog for 20 or more minutes. Today kiddo and I went for a bike ride. I thought I was dying, but hopefully we can keep trying and get to a point I'll be able to do it better. I also need to figure out some weight training. I would normally do a video, but maybe I need a paper workout with my dumbbells, and focus on different body parts. Even some body weight exercises would be ok. 

No comments: