Sunday, September 27, 2020

Autumn 2020

 It's hard to believe it's Fall already. Autumn sounds so much prettier, but still, this year has been flying by. Which is weird since it has been a year of not doing a whole lot of anything. Heck, we hardly leave home any more. The city is in a second wave, since schools opened up there have been a lot more cases nearby, and getting tested is actually really difficult. I am glad I pulled kiddo out, my stress is a lot less, as is his. He has one friend from school he has been seeing a lot. He is there at the moment actually. I'll go get him in an hour or so. He hasn't been getting enough sleep the past few nights. One of his friends sent a message at 4 AM to all of his friends wondering if anyone was awake and it woke kiddo up. He has a hard time getting back to sleep ever so that was not good. He did eventually but it left him tired. This morning he woke up rather early, threw up, went back to sleep and got up at 11, which is unheard of. The sleep and then some food really helped. 

I have no idea what we are going to do this winter. I had planned to move us to some (expensive) rental townhomes near us but since he isn't in school, do we have to stay around here? Could we move further out? Find something bigger or whatever? I'm not sure. I will probably wait until I get my back pay. We are still voting on the contract so once that is done, it could be 6 months before we get the money. Such a long time, hopefully by spring I guess! So winter, will be here, and we'll have to shovel again. But, I won't have to drive him to school or me to work. So we don't have to do it first thing or whatever, it can take time to do, we can relax a little bit about it. As long as I get the garage cleaned up over the next couple weeks so I can park in there again. 

It is strange to me that my province is locking down again while some places in the states are getting more lax. I am not sure why, and I guess it doesn't matter too much. We will follow the rules and do our part to curb the spread. We will get flu shots (don't usually do that) and not travel (I wish we could go somewhere warm this winter!). Maybe in another year, or 18 months, or even 2 years, we will be able to travel again. We'll be ready! 

For our epic unschool, kiddo has been playing some video games, watching videos and we have been reading a couple books together. We also started watching the Harry Potter movies. He actually quite enjoyed the first two, and asked a lot of questions, but also figured a lot of the twists and turns out before they were revealed. He is observant and a smart kid. I have a few books for worksheets if he is interested. I plan to focus on his self esteem, a growth mindset, and just his general mental health over the next year, rather than focusing on his learning. I think it will be better for him long term to know how to handle anxiety, stress, and feel good about himself. It isn't always easy though. I can only do nerf battles and games like that for so long. I wish he'd rather play cards or something. Oh well. At least he still has one friend to play with, and hopefully we'll figure out something to do this winter. 

No comments: