Sunday, September 20, 2020

Epic Unschool

 It's official. I sent in a letter to the board and school to let them know I am withdrawing him from public school. I haven't heard back yet, I assume I will sooner or later. They can say what they please but I will be firm in my decision. Honestly, if this had been more of an option sooner I would have done it years ago. I was frustrated with the school since he was in grade 3 and then 4, even going back to grade 2 when I don't feel he really learned a whole lot. He has been seen as a troublemaker for standing up to the teachers and principal, which they don't like. He won't let people get away with things, even me. It is sometimes a struggle but I am learning to let it go. He is stubborn and getting to an age where these things are easier for him to manage on his own. If he doesn't want to participate then he doesn't have to. But I will also be able to do some of the things I want to do. He is old enough to be home alone for short periods, and soon for longer ones. 

Now we start with deschooling, though that is pretty much what we have been doing since March any way. We will continue with a lot of free time for him, he can let me know when he wants to learn something or has questions. I will leave some things around to help entice him to learn a few things, but it is going to be up to him. I have picked up a couple work books for helping kids with anxiety, adhd and have one on my list for a growth mindset. That is my focus for this year. Jackson is very down on himself and negative about things in general so I want to help with that. Hopefully I can manage, he refuses to speak to anyone so a therapist is not an option. 

This is going to be quite the journey I think. I feel good about it, though I am a little bit sad I will be losing out on all that alone time from when he's in school. Hopefully we can find him some activity to sign up for, I am pushing for swimming or a martial art. I think something active would be great and both of those are easy to socially distance but still hopefully he will also make some friends. I have signed up for a few facebook groups on homeschooling, unschooling, locally, provincially and world wide. Since we are stuck at home a lot, it becomes harder to meet new people.

He was playing with a friend most of last week but hasn't heard from him this weekend at all. Which has led to less activity. We have played with his nerf guns. That was a lot of running up and down the stairs! He had fun, me, less so. I am sure he'll make me do it again this evening. Tomorrow I do have to work so I am not sure what he will do. Like last week he will probably just watch videos and play Roblox and Minecraft. Hopefully his friend will be available at some point! 

I finally moved our December cruise, the pay in full date was approaching and I called to check my options. I was able to move it to April 2023, so hopefully by then we'll be able to travel! No extra fees which is great. Now we have 2 week cruises booked for Jan/Feb 2022 and April 2023. That's plenty of time for this thing to blow over a bit and hopefully get back to a more normal life. Even if it means an annual vaccine or wearing masks indoors a lot. I just want to be able to continue working from home, and we can figure out the rest from there. 

No comments: