Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Back to... not school

 Well, we are not off to a great start. So far Jackson has gone to 3 days of classes. Then he got a "headache". Which is code for "anxiety over going to school". So he's been home, I spoke with the principal and she has put him on the wait list for online school. His homeroom teacher has been amazing and is sending me daily emails with what they covered and where to find it in the online portal for the kids. So then we sit and try to do it. Not really well. I am just at my wit's end and want to just say screw it, who needs school! Well we do I guess, need to learn stuff. But there has to be a better way than this. It's been a struggle, most notably since grade 4. The last options we have are to switch from immersion (question is with the principal but I am doubtful as I think the classes are pretty full), try the online (if we get in at the end of the month, make do with what the teacher is sending for now. 

After all of this, we will probably be doing straight up home schooling. I have been looking at curriculum's and various ways to do it. I think we can do a hybrid of various types of learning. My focus is on math at the moment, he has fallen very far behind when he used to be way ahead. It frustrates me, the school itself does. The principal from last few years was not the best fit as far as I am concerned. The new one so far seems really good. It is irritating that things like this just get overlooked or he's made to feel like he is bad for things that he can't control or that they don't understand or listen to the story of. Other than math I think the rest we can do through various methods, trying to get him to read on his own (for fun) and learn while he's at it. There will have to be some limits, but I am happy to follow his lead in what he wants to learn. 

Now we wait and see, does he get into the other class or does he get into the online school? Or do we just pull him completely from the school for a year, or 3. Today he did a bit of the work that was required, I've made space at my work desk so that he can work right beside me while I am working, I think it will let us work together and he'll know I am right there to help. Hopefully that will be a good thing. He even helped me clean up the folding chair from the basement to use for now. 

Now I'm off to keep researching curriculum options and figure out the best way to move forward. A few books, a few ideas, and some websites to try. There is a monthly subscription for Canadian Geography and History, it sounds really cool and I want to try it out. I am not sure if it is for much younger kids, but either way, I think it's a good start! With the math I already have and hopefully an online version that looks cool. Add in some books he'll maybe try to read. Voila, we're good for now! 

No comments: