Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Being Sick and Having Support

Since my son was born I haven't needed a lot of help.  There have been times I would have liked help but we always managed without asking.  It is nice to know that when I need it though, my family is there for me.  I was sick a couple months ago and my brother in law came and took my son for the afternoon, it let me rest, and while Jackson also came down with that flu it had allowed me to rest so I could care for him. 

The past few days have been rough.  I believe I've had food poisoning.  Based on nothing staying down, losing about 6 pounds in 3 days and my general cannot move I'm too tired-ness.  I am finally feeling better but it was a rough go.  It started on Sunday afternoon and after throwing up in front of him once I managed to wait until he was in bed to finish that.  I stayed home from work Monday but still had to get him to daycare, that was not fun since he isn't quite at a point where he can dress himself, so I had to lift him up, do that kind of thing.  And I was tired.  I slept most of the day, thought I was better and went to bed early any way.  Tuesday morning I woke up in worse shape.  Getting him to daycare was nothing short of a miracle.  I knew by mid-day that I could not pick him up, it wasn't safe for me to be driving and I was simply too sick.  I called my sister who was amazing, she picked up the car seat from me, went to get him and took him to her place until about 7:30.  I am feeling much better now, we'll see how it goes with food but I am taking that slowly. 

Days like these make me wonder how I would manage two on my own, especially since I plan on moving quite a bit further from my sister in search of a home I can afford that isn't too far from my office.  I will need to cultivate some relationships wherever I end up so that I have people I can rely on there too.  When he was younger it wasn't as hard, he slept more and was easier to entertain.  As he gets older it will again get easier, he will be able to dress himself, and once in school will likely take the bus.  I am hopeful that things like this will not happen often, he's 2 1/2 now, and this is twice I've called for help.  I don't count begging my parent's to come visit when he was about 2 months old since that was more about being bored silly stuck in the house in February and they are his grandparents, shouldn't they want to come see their grandson? :-) 

I do have a friend who has also said if I need help to call her, she is off on her second mat leave "two under two", well one has turned two now but she still has her hands full for sure.  I will keep all of it in mind though and realize that people do want to help if they can. 

Now, cross your fingers I make it through today without throwing up at work.  I have about 1 sick day left, though I get another one in a week or so, they accrue slowly it seems!

On money news, I have a temporary promotion at work, which you would think is great news, but somehow I managed to mis-calculate things and my rent cheque bounced.  Being so sick I haven't been able to get to the bank to get that sorted out so I'll be doing that today, and it has been a giant wake up call that I need to actually follow my budget and now just think all is well.  As I tell my son "pay attention".  I believe, if I stick to it, and stop being stupid with my money, I can afford a house and everything else I want, but I need to be smart.  The promotion sounds nice but it's really just me doing all the work I've been doing, plus some more, just actually getting the pay that goes along with it.  And hopefully it will lead to a permanent promotion. 

1 comment:

bunintheovenplease! said...

Poor you. just FYI a house (at least mine) seems to cost more than any homeowner will ever admit - there's always something to fix!