Friday, April 12, 2013

Spring has sprung... not!

I am very tired of winter and snow and all the nonsense that goes along with it.  We had a winter storm today, April 12th.  Freezing rain, snow, lots of loveliness.  I stayed home, Jackson stayed home. I just did not want to go anywhere to drive.  It made for a longish day, but Jackson played in the basement on his own for awhile, I played with him and we watched some TV.  It was a pretty good day, until bedtime of course. But even that seems to be getting better, or I am more immune to it, I don't know.  He still takes longer to fall asleep than I think he should.  But he cries less, I don't go up as often, and he seems to be getting better.

I am anxious to get our garage empty and the backyard filled up. We have a picnic table, outside coffee table, and BBQ to put together.  We also have the sandbox to fill up and set up.  I'd like to get a gazebo thing for some shade, and a couple raised beds.  We have no shade in the back in the afternoon and I think that will be important.  I also want to plant some vegetables in the back, perhaps some perennials and annuals but those don't need to go in the bed, they can be just a border garden.  I can either get the raised bed from a hardware store for about $100, plus the soil, or try and make one.  Which probably won't happen. 

I think growing some vegetables will be good for us both, could save some money, and it will be nice for Jackson to help.  I will have to be prepared to not really get very many actual vegetables, or have them picked too early, or too late.  Hopefully it will work out.

We got our second organic delivery box this week, it has some really good stuff in it, and Jackson has already eaten 2 of the pears, the whole red pepper, and I have to figure out what to do with the fennel.  I am really liking the boxes, but I am still thinking of switching to just vegetables.  We go to costco Saturday and will see what fruits they have, perhaps we can get some things to supplement, not sure. 

I bought a Neato, it is an awesome little robot vacuum.  It works.  Cleaned the whole main floor!  I hate cleaning, especially vacuuming.  Now I don't have to!  I set the machine and it will clean the main floor twice a week. I will either move it upstairs once a week or consider getting a second one at some point for up there.  The pets were really interested, well Riley just stayed out of the way, Joshua freaked out and was upset by it, and Snickers told me off the whole time it was going, like he was saying "that's not right, why is it moving on it's own?"  Very funny.  I had to run it today to see how it works of course.  Yes I know, we were home I could have just used the regular vacuum. 

Joshua had his checkup and will be getting fixed next Friday, about time.  He was really good at the appointment, and calm.  The operation should be pretty quick.  Hardest part will be no food after 10pm the night before, really just because the cats are normally fed at bed time so Snickers will be quite upset. 

The house next door is for sale. I checked out the ad of course, it's only 1 1/2 baths, and seems a bit smaller, though the backyard is a little bigger.  It has two big trees in the backyard, which shade it a lot, and would make for a bad garden space. It has laminate all over. I'm not sure I'd buy it.  I do hope whoever buys it make nice neighbours though.

Must be bedtime, I really need to get more sleep. And exercise. And eat better. Ok.

No comments: