Tuesday, September 27, 2016

First Appointment

Well. The doctor seemed nice. He told me at 41 my chances with IUI are about 5%. If I do IVF it goes to 15-20%.  But because I have a child, and have been pregnant before he thinks my odds are not too bad. Now the fun tests start. I have to get blood work done on day 21, which is next week. Then on Day 1 I call and have to schedule two ultrasounds, one to check my insides and the other the HSG. I also then need day 3 blood work, and they will recheck my thyroid. Apparently I also need STD testing, which kind of makes me laugh, I mean it's been like 7 years, or more? something like that any way! Oh well. And a urine test because he didn't do swabs to check for a couple things. Then I have to speak to a psychologist before I can use donor sperm. I sent a message to my insurance to see if that is at all covered. Fingers crossed!

I am also now on synthroid, which the pharmacist seemed to think would make me not tired, lose weight... yeah I'll believe it when it happens! I am supposed to take it separate from Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, which sucks since I take those at breakfast and dinner now... so I'll need to rejuggle those supplements. And I do hope they help.

Luckily the clinic is really close to work, so going at lunch for blood work will not be an issue. The ultrasounds will be a little tricky, but I'll manage. I think the HSG I will take the day off for, or at least half the day if I can. I've heard it's ok but also that it really sucks, so going based on it will suck, I'll take the day off, take advil, and cross my fingers.

When I asked about how long this all takes he said a month. Wow. I know it'll be about 3 weeks to get all the tests done, I doubt I will catch the October cycle, but November? Hmm. Crazy. Once I got to see the doctor, things seem to be moving.

Oh, he also expressed concern because of my hernia, which is where they would deal with an ectopic, if that should happen. I am not too worried about that, though I have read there is a higher chance of those when over 40, but he seemed to think it was only 1 or 2% so not a big deal.

It was kind of funny him talking about things in such simple terms, given the reading and research I've done. I may be new to the office but I'm not new to the terminology and details.

Now I have some next steps. And really need to let go of one more trip, which makes me a little sad. I know I will be able to take both kids in time, but I had hoped for one more with just Jackson. I know I could do Disney, but if I am pregnant at that time, it would be silly since I can't do a lot of the rides.

Any way! Everything is on track, I will start the thyroid meds in the morning I guess. I'd do one today and then tomorrow morning but I don't want to mess things up. I'll need to go for so many blood tests, Ugh. And all the rest. At least I've already had a look at the sperm bank catalogues and narrowed down my choices, as long as they are available when I need them I have a couple choices. That part seemed easy. I guess I'm not putting as much thought into it as I could?

No comments: