Monday, September 12, 2011

Daycare drama... the saga continues

Well drop off this morning was not good.  I left feeling so bad!  Jackson was great going in, he did not want to go into the preschool room when we got there.  The kids start out in there until snack time because there are so few kids.  He was a trooper going to get his shoes changed and hang up his coat.  Then we went into the preschool room and there was a new lady in there, she didn't know Jackson so I introduced him, and told her he was new and he was about to cry so if she could take him to the window to wave goodbye it might help.  He started crying and was very upset but I had to go so I told him I'd be back, gave him a hug and kiss, and headed for the door.  I felt so bad I started crying before I got to my car.  He never did get to the window to wave to me, I'm not sure why but it upset me. 

I called the director and left a message but she's busy with the kids until at least 10, so didn't call me back.  I called her again at 1 and she answered the phone, so we chatted and I started crying (again) and she said when she got in at 7:45 he was at the table playing with the cars and the worker was there rubbing his back and playing with him.  He was doing ok, a bit teary at moments but by snack time he was fine.  I know he's ok once he's in the toddler room, he wanted to go in there this morning, I think he finds the other room overwhelming. Hopefully he adjusts (before I have a break down myself!)  I also found out my daily rate, which was great, and she said she'd leave paperwork for me to sign up for the direct debit (finally!).  That was great and it was all there when I got in so hopefully that starts soon.  It was also a bonus because I don't have to pay for the full month for September, so it's lower than I expected, which means I could put a little more gas in the car tonight...

I got home to a letter from the city telling me I owe them the monthly fee... Yeah no shit sherlock!!  OMG I called and left a very loud message telling the person who sent me the letter how unimpressed I am, that I've left multiple messages and no one could bother to call me back and help me out but sure send me a notice basically collecting.  I was so not nice, and so not happy.  Honestly, I've called twice, spoken to the receptionist who knew nothing, and even the daycare couldn't help me last week.  So mad.  It should be fine now but I expect to talk to someone from the city tomorrow or they'll be getting something from me in writing because I am livid over the treatment.  I asked at my interview how much I'd be paying and how to pay, and was told it's all handled at the daycare, daycare says no I need to pay the city monthly.  Very upsetting and frustrating.  I appreciate that I'm getting financial assistance here, but this is so stupid. 

Any way.  I am hoping that things get better by the end of the week.  Jackson was very tired and hungry by the time we got home, so it was a short evening with him.  All in all I'm not sure what to do about the daycare.  I am considering changing my shift, again, to 8:30 to 4:30, so I could drop him off quite close to snack time, and hopefully avoid the meltdown.  I am going to try this week out at 8 to 4, and see how it is by Friday, then I'll reconsider my shift.

I did also get to meet his "normal" teacher, she apparently was on vacation last week.  I quite liked her, as I have the other two regulars, so that is a good sign.  She was very nice, and obviously has paid a lot of attention to him. I forgot to read his daily book, I am used a weekly one so daily is hard to remember, plus he just wants to GO when I get there.  They are all quite excited that he uses cloth diapers, so that was neat lol.  And he had a fat lip they couldn't explain but had written up a report I had to sign saying I'd seen it. They think it might have been a bug bite outside or something, looks like he bit his lip or someone hit him (not one the providers).  Knowing how often he falls and tumbles it could have been anything but I think if he had fallen they would have told me.  In any case, it's better now, and considering he fell head first off my bed on Friday night, well this is nothing compared to some bumps and bruises he's had! 

Oh, we went to the baby boom show on the weekend and he saw Barney live.  I didn't know he knows who Barney is but apparently he does, that's ok lol, he had fun and it was nice to get out (for free).  I did buy a fitted diaper, though I'm not sure how I'm going to pick it up, I'll worry about that later, it still has to be made after all!  I think I can pay for shipping but not sure I want to lol.  Other than that I was good and didn't buy anything, though I did try on a carrier that I quite liked.  But since I have two on the way, we'll see once I get those what I decide to do.

And I'm still on the fence about paying the old daycare or not.  I don't want to, and don't think I should have to.  I saw two new kids there today (she's right across the street...) so I'm not worried about her needing the money so much.  It's frustrating.  But I'll figure it out!  Make a decision at some point I guess :-)

1 comment:

DannieA said...

wishing you well! The first week is always tough. Tigger had a great first day and a crappy rest of the week...as in screaming so loud I could still hear her in the parking and I would leave crying. Second week, she was great....now she announces she's at school in the mornings, but loves to come home when I get her....

such a moment new daycare's are. Hope things get better. They will, but it's never easy that first time around.