Thursday, February 21, 2013

Mommy's health

Being a single mom is great in almost every way.  But I have encountered the one big downfall.  My health.  A few months ago I had a flare up of pain in my upper abdomen, it lasted for a few days, didn't matter what I ate, it would flare up with in about 30 minutes of eating and last for hours, I felt horrible and was so glad when it passed. I didn't go to the doctor, I had just started a new job and couldn't really take the time.  Well it flared up again yesterday, so today I went to my doctor. He's sending me for an ultrasound and blood work.  He thinks it's my gallbladder.  Lovely.  From what I am reading it will likely lead to surgery and having it out.  How do I do that with a 3-year-old running around?  I understand it is probably a day surgery, but that's still a whole day and it's scary.  I'm sure it's a routine procedure and all that but I worked in the operating rooms, I've seen it, and it's scary. 

Being me, I am going to wait and see, perhaps I will be able to manage this with diet.  Somehow.  Perhaps I can beat it with some "natural" remedy.  So far the worst flares have been when I am extra stressed, first due to the new job and now due to the big move.  Perhaps if I can find some ways to better deal with my stress I'll be in better shape.  But, since this is my life and my son's future, I need to take care of me.  I will get the tests done, probably not as quickly as the doctor would like but I'll do my best. 

The move is consuming me, yesterday being so sick did not help. I didn't get as much garbage out as I wanted to, nothing got packed. But I got rid of a dresser I was selling.  And I did pack two boxes tonight, books. I have a lot of books, and probably not enough boxes. There is still a lot of packing to do, I really should go through the boxes in the basement, at least a little bit, I'm sure there is stuff I could leave behind. I will be working hard this weekend.  We have to go finish paying for the couch, then get groceries, and Sunday the donation people are coming to pick stuff up, hopefully lots of stuff.  And in between it all I will be packing.  And packing some more.  Then next Friday I will get the keys, start moving stuff, go pick up the store stuff I want to get, and probably do the blood work.  Since it has to be fasting, I can do it after I drop Jackson off at daycare.  I hope.  We'll see.  It still is annoying and frustrating. 

From what I've been reading, this gallbladder thing is likely caused by my pregnancy, a leftover reminder of that.  I have to say, every time it flares up I am reminded of labour.  So I guess that's fitting.  It is also really making me second guess my desire for another baby.  Add in the temper issues I've been having, probably also related to stress, and I have no idea what the future really holds for my little family.  Beyond moving to a new home and hopefully cleaning up my living and health.  Stress management is going to be key. 

1 comment:

Jen said...

I discovered I have gallstones while I was pregnant. Thankfully that didn't add to my complications. Mine don't really bother me (knock on wood). I hope you can do it without surgery or that if you have to have the surgery that your down time is minimal.