Saturday, June 4, 2016

May 2016 Trip - part 2 Disney!

Since the cruise was only 4 nights I wanted to add on something extra. I managed to get a good deal through a travel agency for a few nights at Disney. We left from Port Canaveral for the cruise, so we had to fly to Orlando. We opted to stay at POP Century and get two day tickets, they came with a "fun bonus" which we could use at a water park or Disney Quest. I knew it would take awhile to get to Disney after the cruise, and the water parks close at 5 so I thought Disney Quest would be great. Jackson always wants to play video games, air hockey, and things like that. Since it's all included I thought he would have fun.

We got off the ship by 9:30 and through customs and onto our shuttle by 10:30, we were back at Orlando airport shortly after 11 and had to walk through the airport to get to our Disney Magic Express. I had done online check in so when we got to the hotel it was quick to get checked in. We got our magic bands, mine in purple and kiddo's in red. Our room was actually ready so we went to drop off our stuff and unpack, then back to the food court for lunch. Jackson had been talking about the mac and cheese since the last trip so of course wanted that, but it was not the same and he refused to eat it. I had a cheeseburger and fries, he ate my fries. If he had said he didn't like the mac and cheese I would have had that and given him the cheeseburger, but of course he first says he likes it, so I put mustard on the burger.

It was almost 1 by then, and we then went to catch the bus to Disney Springs. The wait for the bus was a bit long, but the ride was pretty quick. We got off and went in search of Disney Quest. We found it pretty easily, walking past a few stores, including the Candy Cauldron. We used our fun passes and then we were off to play!

Kiddo was worried that he wouldn't be any good at the games, and wasn't excited to try them. I got him to try a few and he started to have fun. We played air hockey, but I won (not on purpose) and he was upset so we moved on to other games. We tried a river rafting game, it was pretty fun, and we stayed a few hours. After playing lots of games, we left and stopped at the candy store. He got cotton candy, and an icing covered rice crispie square, which he did not like. We wandered over to the Disney toy store, and he got a set of 3 little buses, just the ones we took! We went back POP Century, and then swimming. We picked up dinner at the food court to eat in the room. He got a cheeseburger this time, and I had pizza with Cesar salad.

After swimming and dinner it was getting late, I knew around 9 we would be able to see some fireworks over the buildings, so we headed up to the store to get a snack, juice, water and of course another toy, then back to look at the fireworks. That was really the closest we got to them the whole trip! After we went back to the room, got into jammies to watch TV and kiddo fell asleep (as I knew he would).

Saturday morning we got up rather early, and got ready to head to Magic Kingdom. We had watched a lot of ride videos, and had fast passes for a few of the hard to get rides. We also had lunch reservations for Crystal Palace at 1 pm. We didn't feel like breakfast so I thought we'd get something in MK. Didn't really work out that well, we ended up with a smoothie and iced coffee at some point, then some waffle fries and water. We got to the park in time for the opening show, though we had to wait a bit, which kiddo was not good at. We got into the park and I said we'd head to Peter Pan, he said no way. So we ended up at Astro Orbiter. We also did the People Mover, and then the Tomorrowland Speedway. He did not like the car ride, he found it hard to stay on track and did not want help. After that we had our little snack and I suggested we go find some more rides. He wanted to leave. I managed to talk him into Dumbo and Barnstormer. He ended up loving both. I think after that we went to the Swiss Family Treehouse, and the Tom Sawyer Island. After that we stopped to buy me a hat, and him another toy, then we finally went for lunch. Lunch was good, expensive, but good. After that we left to the hotel again.

We swam, and had a little rest, then dinner, and he wanted to go back to the park. We got fast passess for Dumbo and Barnstormer, I switched some of the other ones we had and didn't use. So off we went back to the park! It was hot, and a lot of walking. We were there right before the parade but he didn't want to stay for it, so we ended up leaving right before that, and back to the hotel to sleep. A long tiring day with some frustration for me. I had expected to not get everything done but I was surprised by his reluctance to try many things. I think based on this we will wait until he is at least 9 to go back, perhaps by then he'll be more willing to try things.

Next morning we were going to Epcot. We stopped for breakfast this time, I had moved lunch up to 11:35 but wanted to get some food in him to hopefully help! While we were eating a little voice said "Is Jackson here?" And it was one of his friends from school! Can  you imagine? Huge hotel, and she was there at the same time we were. Crazy. He was quite happy to see the little girl, they chatted for a bit but we were off to different parks so that was it.

We had fastpasses for a few rides, including coveted Test Track, which he was super excited about, until we did the Tomorrowland ride. Now he had no interest. I was able to trick him into going on the Nemo ride, which he enjoyed once we were on it. Then we looked at all the fish in the aquariums, and the manatees. He enjoyed all of that. Afterwards he wanted to see the World Pavilion but since our lunch reservation was at 11:30 I talked him into seeing some other areas first. I can't really remember what we looked at but he wasn't too impressed. We ended up early to lunch, and were seated right at 11:30. Lunch was great to me, but he was not impressed with the food. He didn't eat that much, but he liked the spinning of the restaurant, and meeting Chip and Dale.

Jackson's been eaten by a shark!

After lunch we set out for the pavilions. We saw a few countries and did an Agent P quest. That was fun, and we got a pressed penny from doing it. We took a boat ride back from Morocco (I think) to near Canada, and then went back to the resort. We went swimming and relaxed, there was some thunder so the pools got closed for awhile, Jackson was not happy about that. I asked him if he wanted to go back to Epcot for dinner, we could go to one of the countries to eat. He wanted to have Chinese food, so we headed back around 5:30 and made our way to China. He had rice and plain chicken balls. I had some nice stir fry, and then we went to look around. They were just starting an acrobat performance and Jackson wanted to stay and watch. It was pretty neat, and he enjoyed the show.

Afterwards I wanted to get my niece a gift since she had stayed at our place to watch the cats, drove us to the airport and was going to pick us up as well. Jackson picked out some beaded earrings and a bracelet for her. I found him a little set of fossils which he loves. He is obsessed with dinosaurs and such, so this was perfect for him. After that I had managed to switch our Test Track fastpass to Illuminations! Great we'd be able to see some fireworks. It was getting close, so we stopped for some ice cream and then started walking to where I thought the FP area was. We got there and were waiting for them to let us all in when... boom! Flash!  huge thunder storm rolled in. It started to rain, and Jackson was freaking out about being outside in that weather, we hid under an awning outside a store for awhile, but they kept postponing the fireworks, and since he was getting quite upset, we decided to leave. We saw the fireworks when we got back to the hotel... not quite the same.

The next morning was check out day so I packed in the evening and got everything ready. He fell asleep while I was doing that, I managed to get everything packed back into our suitcases, and somewhat organized. We got up around 7 the next day, we had to meet the shuttle at 8:25, so if we wanted breakfast I knew we had to get up there fairly early.  We managed, and had toast for breakfast. I knew we'd eat at the airport so I thought that was enough.

We got the shuttle and were threw security and checked in by 9:30... it was crazy. Our flight left at 12:30, boarding started at noon. So we had lots of time. We had breakfast again at the Burger King, and I wish we had waited to eat until later. There is no service on Air Canada, well there is if you want to pay a lot for it. I had a can of chips but Jackson didn't like them, so he didn't eat anything on the plane. We had to change planes in Montreal, and the landing there was very rough. Jackson got sick, and then had to get changed. We ran through the airport to find our gate and it was down in the basement of the airport. There wasn't really anywhere to eat down there, other than a very expensive sit down restaurant, so he had some chips and juice. I felt bad but we had passed all the places to eat thinking there would be something near our gate!

We had to go outside to walk up the steps to our plane. Thankfully it was a very short hop, and we had an actual gate when we landed. My sister picked us up, apparently my niece was concerned about how to find us at the airport, where to wait, etc. We got home, and Jackson just wanted to play with his toys. He had a quick snack and was in bed by 8. He went to school the next day, and I stayed home to do laundry.

The trip was good, but difficult at the same time. I want to go again but am not sure we'll go again in 2017, perhaps we'll wait another year. I'm not sure. I also want to buy a house (if we ever get a contract at work... and the back pay to go with that!) so we'll have to wait and see what comes our way.

No comments: