Tuesday, June 14, 2016

The rules and following through

After our big blow up on Saturday, with some new rules in place, the days have been a bit smoother. We still have some moments but it's only been a few days so an adjustment for both of us. I think he's surprised I've been following through. Yesterday the landlord was bringing some fence guys by to get a quote because the fence is falling over. They were to be here at 7:15, which is just before bedtime, so I knew it would be tricky. But I also know my son loves this stuff, and would want to be there. At 6:50 we came in from playing out front and he was mad at me for not letting him have a fruit roll up thing, so he called me stupid. That's one of the rules, no name calling, bad language, it means the TV get turned off. So I told him no TV. He cried! A lot. He tried to get the remotes so I put them on the fridge. He said he'd get them down, I said I'd remove the batteries. He then begged to watch Netflix instead, I told him that's still TV. So he hit me. And I took him up to get ready for bed. He got his teeth brushed and we read his story. He apologized and I told him he could come out with the men to see the fence, but right after would be bedtime with no play time. He said that was ok. I didn't want to have to fight for 10 minutes to keep him in his room and into bed. So it worked, mostly.

Tonight at bedtime he wanted to play with his toy, but we had discussed if he would play with his toy or have "talk about your day time" and he chose to chat. When he pulled out the toy I told him, nope. Keep it up and no TV tomorrow (which is mostly an empty threat since we'll be out all evening at the school for the end of year Fun Fare). He still didn't listen and so I said, ok none on Thursday either. He kept at it so I told him I was leaving the room and he was to go to sleep. He got upset and put the game away, then told me it was an accident, that he was trying to turn it off, not play with it... yeah that's what happened! I guess we'll see if I can stick with it over the next two nights.

I have started to exercise again, only 3 days in but I feel better about it. I get up early and do some cardio, do some weights/tonight when I get home from work, and yoga after kiddo is in bed. The yoga is only 10 minutes but it makes me feel good! The rest, we'll see. So far I'm getting a bit sore, which I guess is to be expected. I am also eating mostly better, though once I get groceries tomorrow that will improve a lot. I have a big list of veggies and things to pick up. I can't wait really.

Tonight we were talking about something, I don't even remember what, and he mentioned he thought I should "go to that bank" I got the "seed" from that made him so he can be a big brother... I had pretty much given up that dream, so I guess we'll see what happens. I am 41 now, and I was enjoying the thought of travelling, and getting a smaller home when we buy (hopefully next year!). But he doesn't want to travel any more, he doesn't like flying. We talked about how he would be in grade 7 when the baby would be starting school. Which is a big gap. Also for me, since I hope to retire at 55, I'm not sure I'd be able to do that with a 14 year old at home. That is crazy! Any way, more thinking required, I am not sure I can handle another child, some moments I wonder if I can handle the one I have! But of course we are together a lot with little to break that up, perhaps another person would be a good dynamic.

I am still enjoying reading the parenting books. One is talking about respecting the developmental stage of the child, which I try and do but sometimes it's hard, he just seems to be older than he is. I wonder if that is my fault, I talk to him like he is older than he is sometimes. He uses words that are bigger than I think he should. I guess it is my fault, he probably doesn't really understand the words all the time. He is smart, and he really wants to be "good" and not get into trouble. We are working on it, and I hope over the summer we'll have some revelations to improve our situation. Especially once we are on vacation in August.

No comments: