Sunday, June 26, 2016

Taking Back Childhood

I've been reading a lot of books lately, mostly from the library, on raising kids. One I just finished is Taking Back Childhood by Nancy Carlsson-Paige and it was very interesting. Highly recommended.  I found a lot of the advice to be very timely. I know that we have too much stuff, that Jackson likes to play with lots of different toys but often needs help figuring out what to do. He constantly wants more, which has been a fight lately as I keep saying we can't afford this or that. He is starting to notice brands, though thankfully not really in terms of clothes. I guess because I grew up with advertising, and brand toys, I didn't know that this was all different before. I remember getting a cabbage patch doll when they came out, how my mom waited in the store for the skid of toys to be brought out and grabbing two (one for me, one for my sister) and we got what we got and were glad to have one. I don't think that happens as much nowadays, but there are still toys he sees that he has to have, or thinks he has to any way.

The book talks about helping kids make sense of the world, keeping consumerism down, helping kids play more. I love that it gives examples, especially ways to talk to kids off different ages. I had previously read Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids, and find they work well together. It is about keeping myself calm and peaceful, and also keeping screen time down. The problem of course is that he loves his tv shows. I am glad that he still likes the shows aimed at younger kids, he isn't in to the super hero shows or some of the older kid stuff, yet. Still when he sees a commercial for a new toy he has to ask for it.

After our fight a few weeks ago, we have been having dinner together at the table, no tv on. I have been trying to encourage more play and less screen time as well. It is handy to turn it on and let him stare at the screen while I get stuff done (dishes, laundry, cooking, cleaning... heck even some rest myself!) but we are cutting it down. It has been hot this past week, and this weekend, so a little less time outside simply because it's so hot out in the sun. Our backyard has no shade, and if we bike or walk to the park we are both exhausted by the time we get there. We are trying, but it's hard for both of us I think. Hopefully this will improve over summer. Our backyard also has a rotten fence the landlord is going to get replaced, but until then I am worried it will fall over while we are out there, it will fall in the neighbours yard but you never know with these things.

When Jackson goes to my parents next week, and stays for a week without me, I will be home and hope to declutter a lot. I will have an awful lot of time so plan to box up more than half his current toys, put them away for another time, and face the fallout when he gets home. I want to go through his books and everything, games, videos, all of it. But I do not want to just get rid of stuff, so we'll have to be able to store some for a bit. And of course it isn't fair if I only consider his things, so I'll go through mine as well.

The book clearly showed how childhood has changed since I was a kid, how kids are so exposed to advertising and media now. I can see it in him, there are things he does and says that would never have happened when I was a child, and it isn't because I am letting him get away with things, I haven't taught him these things! I see it in the other kids he plays with, and perhaps he is less mature than others, but he is a kid and I will work to keep him one for as long as possible. They grow up fast enough as it is.

We are both looking forward to summer. Jackson has a week at my parents, then 3 weeks at daycare. Then I am off for August, and hopefully he will still go a few days a week to daycare but I also hope we will do some fun stuff around town together, even if that is going to a splash park or to the local pools. He has swimming lessons every day for two weeks at the start of August, hopefully he finally figures it out. Otherwise we have no real plans. Sadly my back pay won't be coming for awhile, they are going back to the table (and hopefully we are not going on strike) so we won't be going on any big trips for awhile.

No comments: