Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Jackson turns 11

 It's my baby's birthday. Today, as when he was born, it's snowing. Unlike the past few years, we haven't been able to have a big party. We did facetime my parents while he opened presents, so that was nice. And we will order in our usual dinner. Normally we'd go there but that isn't really a smart choice. I have ice cream for his special dessert, with sprinkles and a candle. He isn't big on cake so this works. I did buy some mini cupcakes he likes but I think he will enjoy the ice cream more. 

The dog goes to the groomers this afternoon as well, he needs a haircut. Then I'll pick him up later when he's all dry and smells good again. And this morning I went to the big W and spent way too much money, but think I am finally done shopping! I wrapped all the presents when I got home, realized I ordered the wrong Monopoly game, should have checked the packages better when things arrived, but did find the proper one on amazon and will get it Monday. So phew... and we'll keep the other version for a gift for someone if birthday parties ever become a thing again. I took the day off and it was nice. I can't wait to be off for two weeks over the holidays.

We were supposed to be on a cruise ship this week, today we'd be in Grand Cayman and going to the steakhouse for dinner. Maybe next year. Now that one vaccine is approved, I am sure others will follow. I know I'm not at the top of the list to get one, and kids aren't even on the list yet, but hopefully by next fall we'll be able to get them and then be able to travel again. I miss travelling! 

We've been talking a lot about moving. I am hoping by May, but earlier would be better. It depends on what "spring" means in terms of my back pay. March? or later? Who knows, but we'll be getting ready any way. The main floor is still looking good after the decluttering last year, a few hot spots pop up, I have a hard time keeping the kitchen neat, it's just so little counter space, so little storage. But the rest is good. I will work in the basement over the holidays, I plan to spend a couple days, or part of days at least, down there getting as much as possible out of the house. And I have lists of things we want to buy or replace before, or shortly after, we move. I think we'll be staying in Barrhaven, where exactly remains to be seen still. And perhaps it is silly to move, but I want a change I guess. I hope to buy a few of the items I want to replace over the next few months. At least the raises are set to come before the new year, so my pay will go up, thank goodness. 

I wonder sometimes, if I should move ahead with baby 2 plans. My body is against it, but my heart yearns for it. With 11, and more likely 12 years between kids, is it foolish? I mean another 7 years and Jackson is 18, then I could be alone again. But is that what I want? Jackson wants a brother who is only a few years younger than he is. Adoption would be that route, but adoption comes with it's own hurdles, and difficulties. And I worry I wouldn't pass whatever tests they set. Plus I'd have to rely on other people to provide references and such. It's so frustrating a process. But I won't be happy without trying something. Adoption is less expensive, but less sure. 

So I go on with my plans. Though keto fell in the face of my mom's cherry loaf. I am getting back to it, and will continue to try and follow it through the new year, January and February for sure. No more junk food or carbs for me. I will be ready and able to do it. And the cherry loaf is gone so that helps. The decluttering continues, and will escalate shortly. 

Jackson has quite the set up now for his computer, except that his laptop is not powerful enough to be a true gaming system. I did promise him a gaming system once I get my back pay, in the spring. He has everything else he needs for it now though, fancy microphone, webcam, good monitor, gaming keyboard and mouse. I'll get him a good system in the spring, and a bigger desk once we move. If we move. We should move. 

No comments: