Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My parents are coming!

It's a long weekend here in Canada, well Monday is a holiday for most of the country I think any way.  I had to take Friday off as my daycare is closed, which is fine by me!  I told my parents I had Friday off, and they decided to come and visit.  They come in late spring/early summer, and late summer/early fall to help me with my window air conditioner.  They decided to come down Thursday evening, so I decided to take Thursday off as well.  Jackson will still be going to daycare, so I can clean the house.

My parents have very high standards when it comes to cleaning.  I remember as a kid you didn't walk on the carpet after it was vacuumed because you would put footprints on it.  And they always makes comments about all my "stuff".  Yes I have a lot of things, some of it I probably don't need but I am horrible about getting rid of things.  I am pretty sure my mom will make comments about the fact I have baby things, like the jolly jumper and exersaucer, that she thinks I should sell.

They are not for me having a second child.  My mom has made many comments about me not having any more, and in fact suggested I get "fixed" when I was in the hospital having my son.  And I didn't have a c-section.  If and when I decide to get going on a second try, I will not tell them until I am well pregnant. 

My parents are funny, they love their grandchildren, and I know they love me and my sister, but they can be difficult.  My mom more than my dad.  I think I take after my dad more, both in his shopping habits, and in that he is quieter.  My mom is private, but she is also somewhat negative.  I think she's suffered from depression quite often in her life, I know she's been on medication for it, and I think there have been other times she should have been.  In general they both believe that I should live like they do, or like they have.  That I should do things the way they would do them. 

But I am not my parents.  I do not do things the way they want.  I lived with a guy I wasn't married to.  I had a child on my own.  I rent, I didn't buy.  I bought a used car.  I have two cats and a dog.  I don't clean the house as much as they would.  I don't cook the way they would.  I didn't start my son on solids in a way they approved of.  I don't let my baby cry it out, and I "spoil" him in their eyes.  I think my life is pretty good though.  My son is happy, and smart.  We spend time together, instead of worrying about dusting.  We manage.

I really am looking forward to their visit.  I do love my parents.  They have been good to me, to us.  They have supported me financially in the past, and like I said, they love me. 

It should be an interesting few days.  Oh, did I mention?  They have a black lab, a very big black lab :-)  I'll have quite a full house!

1 comment:

bunintheovenplease! said...

Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my blog. You made me feel tons better!. I just wanted you to know that I was brought up in the messiest house ever - it never did me any harm! (sounds like yours is actually very clean!) So glad to know that you are going ahead with what you want. I want two as well - but will have to see how I manage with the first!