Monday, May 30, 2011

Ah sleep...

It seems that every time Jackson's sleep gets better, a few days later it gets much worse than it was before.  I was home Friday sick (feeling much better now!) and managed to get quite a bit of sleep myself.  I picked him up from daycare and we were all set!  I knew it was going to be a bit of a rough weekend, the weather was going to be rainy and icky (it was) so we wouldn't be able to get out and about.  Plus I'm kind of broke at the moment, so we couldn't go anywhere. 

Friday night wasn't too bad, he went to sleep pretty well.  Woke up once, gave him a bottle and he went back to sleep.  Then he was up at 6.  In the morning.  seriously!  I am so not a morning person but since having my son I do not get to sleep in any more!  I was a bad mommy and gave him a bottle, he was content for another hour or so, I think he went back to sleep for awhile and then woke up babbling and having a great time, so we were up for the day at 7.

Because we didn't get out Saturday, and he wasn't very tired, I tried putting him down for his nap at 11:30, usually he's asleep by 12, but this weekend he decided he'd stay up, so I got him up again and we tried at 12:45, it took him another 30 minutes to fall asleep, and then he only slept until 2, so about an hour long nap.  You would think after that he'd be tired Saturday night for bed... but no!  He was up, babbling, talking, crying, saying "book" and "park" over and over again, with an occasional "car" thrown in, until 9!!  He is normally asleep by 8 at the latest.  It was difficult for me because I do not let him cry it out, so if he was crying I'd go up to see what was wrong, he'd try to climb up me to get out of his crib, refuse to take his bottle, or lie down, and did not want to sleep even though he was obviously tired.  He was yawning and his eyes were droopy tired.  So it was a long night.

He woke up once, had a bottle, went back to sleep, and got up at 7 on Sunday.  He seemed really tired so I put him down for his nap at 11, he was asleep by just before noon, it took awhile but he was playing and not crying, so it seemed well.  Then the umm, very nice religious people, came and knocked on the door at 1.  Which set the dog off.  I mean he was barking like crazy, he woke the baby up... sigh... so I grabbed a second bottle and ran in to comfort him, he actually went back to sleep, thank goodness!  But then, at 1:30, the dog barked at some guy walking behind my house... like people do all the freaking time... so again, the baby woke up but this time he was not going back to sleep... another long day.

Then last night, he was hard to get down again, it was after 8 before he fell asleep.  And then just before midnight he woke up. As usual, I took him a bottle.  He took it, and seemed to go back to sleep, or not... for the next 90 minutes I was in and out of his room before I finally told him I was going back to bed and he would just have to go to sleep because I was done.  Of course he understood that :-) he did go back to sleep though, finally.  But it meant I was extra tired this morning so didn't get up to do my workout :-( 

Tonight was more of the same, I should be going to bed so I can at least get a bit of sleep before he wakes up again.  I just don't know what the problem is.  It could be his teeth, his two year molars are right there, I can see one peeking through, and the drool... oh the drool!  I know he has a bit of my cold, his nose is runny, but colds make me tired!  I refuse to let him simply cry, though that is what I'm being more tempted to try. 

I wonder about mom's who say they bring the kids into the bed with them.  I would love to do that if it would work.  But if he's in my bed, he's in my room, and I don't think he'll stay in the bed.  He knows how to get out of it, and he loves to play with everything he can reach in my room.  I'm not sure how to manage that.  Even putting him into a toddler bed, I can't see how that would work, he's into EVERYTHING.  And he tosses and turns, puts his feet between the bars, squishes up in one end of the crib or the other, moves as much as I do when I sleep. 

I just don't know what to do.  I'm sure the bottles are part of the problem, but when I can actually get him to take it, he usually falls asleep.  Oh, and rocking him in the rocking chair now just brings giggles and no longer puts him to sleep... that's a little bit sad.  I hope it gets sorted out soon.  I was so excited a week or two ago when he slept all night through with no wake ups.  I knew it wouldn't last, but I didn't think it would get so much worse!  I cannot see keeping him up until 8 then putting him to bed, I just don't see how that would work. 

Any way, I think this turned out a bit rambling.  I think I need some sleep :-)

No comments: