Monday, April 23, 2012

Being Sick

Yesterday was a bad day for me.  I had some kind of flu, I thought for sure I was dying or something, I had a pain in my upper abdomen (everything I read said that's a heart attack) and I couldn't keep anything down, or if I did, within an hour or two the pain started up again.  It was rough, and Jackson didn't like seeing mommy throw up, or the fact I wouldn't play with him like normal, he even asked to go to daycare!  So I called my sister in a moment of desperation and she came through, well her husband did any way, he came and got Jackson who went over to play with them, and his cousins, and had a great time while mommy slept.  I went to bed at 8, and stayed home today.  And got a call from the daycare that Jackson was throwing up.  Of course because I was asleep it took me over an hour to get that message at which point I rushed there to get him but feel horribly guilty about it.  He is upstairs in his bed asleep now, listening to the ocean on his white noise machine.  He's tired of the regular white noise and now chooses the "music" he wants. 

I had some toast this morning and have kept it down with no major pain so thought I'd be able to go to work tomorrow, but am guessing not at this point, looks like Jackson will likely still be sick tomorrow so we'll be home again. 

I guess it's a pretty good record, Jackson is 2 years and 4 months, this is the first time I've had to call someone to watch him because I was too sick.  That's good right?  Makes me wonder about having a second though.  I mean I plan on living quite a bit further from my sister at that point too (until I win the lottery lol) so I don't think I'd even have them to come running over to get him.   I guess I will need to get some closer friends or something.  Of course when he is older he will be a little more able to play on his own and such, but then the trade off is he won't nap at all.  Yesterday I was just hoping I could make it to his nap time, I couldn't. 

It also speaks to my need to have a better stocked medicine cabinet. Maybe if I had the right kind of pills I'd have been able to take something to feel better.  Of course gravol for the nausea I have but it makes me way too sleepy, I guess some pepto or something?  I don't know.  I'll have to check the pharmacy and see what I can stock up on.  His medicines are well stocked, though I have no pedialyte or anything like that, he won't drink it any way. Some gingerale or something?  But how long is that good for?  It's not like we are sick all the time.  I'll think of something I guess. 

Any way.  Being a single mom it's hard when you are sick.  I have survived migraines, and small bouts of illness, colds and flus, as long as it's during the week when he's in daycare and I can be off there's no problem.  Before I was done mat leave he was so young he napped twice a day, so again, lots of recovery time. Now is when it gets interesting, with weekends in there.  And of course when he's sick too it's that much more fun.  Oh well, I'll have another little nap this afternoon if I can, since I expect it will be a rotten night.  And I wonder if the chicken in the crockpot will go to waste?  I hope my baby is feeling better soon. 

No comments: