Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Big Boy Bed

Jackson moved to a big boy bed, toddler bed really, a couple weeks ago.  He is doing quite well with it.  There have been a few missed naps because playing is too much fun, but generally he is doing well.  He has fallen out twice, landing on piles of pillows, but is pretty good at staying in bed, and behaving.  Generally though I do have a great kid. 

I am in the process of finding a twin sized bed for him.  I've been debating a few different ones and think I have settled on one from Ikea, it's pretty inexpensive, and low.  I abuy a house in the next year or so I don't know what size room he'll have then, but right now a twin would be about the biggest I can do in his little room, otherwise I'll have to figure something else out for when my parent's come to visit.  I believe he will quite enjoy the bigger bed, and I can then lie down with him if needed, to read stories or whatever.  He doesn't usually need me like that, I've had to rub his head or back a couple times in the new toddler bed (his crib converted), but he is an independent sort and will tell me to go away when he's had enough.  He also does that when his temper is showing, if I'm telling him to get out of the kitchen or not touch the hot oven, something he doesn't like me saying, he'll tell me to go away. 

My little boy is growing up, and such a light in my life.  Knock wood but we haven't experienced too much of the terrible twos, we have moments but it's usually when he's too tired or hungry.  And he's easy to sort out.  He hasn't had too many tantrums lately, he had a few more when he first started at the new daycare in September, but he was testing his boundaries and is much better now.  He does still have separation issues when I drop him off at daycare, he doesn't want me to leave, but almost as soon as I leave he is fine.  I know part of it is an act for my benefit, to see if he can make me stay with him, and part of it is because he likes one of the teachers better than the others and if it's not her at drop off he gets upset.  He is fine all day, and is doing quite well. 

He's learning to put on his own shoes, dress himself, working on the potty issues (he will not go on the potty at home but I'm patient for now), and learning a lot.  He is just very smart :-) He loves to sing, and learn new songs, he loves to dance and has a cute little booty shake he does to music he likes.  He loves his diggers, bulldozers, tractors, etc.  Obsessed with them really, we have more than a few Mighty machines DVD's, and he loves them all.  Garbage trucks and snowplows are two of his favourites.  He knows what all the different machines are, it's quite funny. 

He is really happy to be in his new bed, and to be a big boy. It makes me a little sad that he's so grown up, growing up so fast.  Time is just flying by, and I have moments when I think "just a three years ago I was getting pregnant" and now I have this little person in my life that I wouldn't change for anything, but wow is my life different than it was then.  I still spend too much money, and tend to be home a lot, but I am happy, and I wasn't really 3 years ago.  Life changes quickly, and I like where it is right now.  But I still want another baby, and still think that would make my family complete.  So we'll see how that goes.

No comments: