Monday, March 11, 2013

Moved. Settled?

We are moved.  The movers were awesome and everything was done in 7 hours as promised.  I have a lot of stuff!  I didn't get to go through as much as I had wanted to because I moved the move up by two months, so I also didn't have vacation to use.  I had Thursday and Friday off to get moved and start unpacking.  I did pretty well on Friday, I got through most of the kitchen stuff, living room and bedrooms.  On the weekend, my parents came down and helped with the unpacking and hanging things up.  It was a good weekend, busy but a lot got done. Including finding a leak. 

On Thursday I saw some water dripping in the basement, I let the landlord know and his dad was going to come and check it out on Saturday.  Friday night I had no hot water.  The leak was right over the hot water tank's controls and I think shorted it out.  So I had to call the hot water tank rental people (at 6:30pm) and also the landlord.  The dad came over to check it out, told me it was just condensation, and left.  The hot water tank guy replaced the controls, no charge because it's a rental.  Saturday when my mom was washing dishes in the kitchen, my dad was down there turning the fuse back on from putting up a light fixture for me, and he yells there's water coming down... yeah so it wasn't condensation. Uh huh.  I called the landlord again, the dad came over again, and this time my dad was here so the two of them figured it out.  He called a plumber, but then it got a little confusing.  I got a call late Saturday night from the plumber who said he'd either come Sunday or Monday after I got home from work.  Today at work I got a call from someone else who seemed to think I should be home during the day to meet him.  So I was confused.  Turns out the usual plumber was hard to reach on Saturday so the dad called a backup.  Usual guy is not coming tomorrow instead.  Someday I'll be able to wash dishes again.

The animals are doing ok.  Joshua is fine, he could care less about any of it.  He's happy and enjoying the sunny spots.  Snickers (other cat) is hiding and tentative about it all, sleeps with me and is not too sure what's going on or where he can hide.  Riley (dog) is guarding the house.  He sleeps by the front door, it's two steps up from the foyer and he sleeps right at the top, barking at every little noise. I hope he gets over it soon or the neighbours are going to complain. 

Jackson is doing ok, but he still asks to go "home" though I think he gets that this new house is home, he's still a little unsure.  He doesn't really seem to like the basement too much yet but I think it will come with time, he's only 3 so playing alone in the basement isn't something he's used to yet.  It will be great when he's a little older, and when he has friends over.

Next steps.  I want to hire a maid.  How terrible but I really think having someone come in every two weeks or so to clean would be so crazy helpful. I hate cleaning.  HATE it.  I don't like it at all and I'm not very good at doing it, but I do like it when it's clean.  I hope to continue with some purging and getting rid of things as we live here, but right now I am too tired of it all.

I am also trying to eat better, lose some weight, all that.  The time change made for a difficult morning today, so not the best to start a new wake up routine.  I think yoga in the morning, or a walking DVD, will be in order.  I needs to do something to help with the stress and weight.  Now that we have a nicer kitchen too I can actually cook, well once I can wash the dishes involved :-)

The only things left at the old house are really the patio furniture, I am hoping to get that this weekend, it will depend on when the snow melts enough.  I will be going to check Wednesday after work, if I can get some of it out that would be great, the sandbox can wait, or stay there, worst case I can get a new one, they aren't that expensive really.  I'll need new sand for it any way. 

No comments: