Sunday, March 27, 2011

Walking and Jogging...oh my!

When I was younger, like 11 or so, I loved to run.  I would run with a cross country team in school, and loved the feeling of flying.  It was amazing.  Then I got bronchitis and was never really able to do it the same way, so I stopped.  Periodically I try to take it back up, to get back to that flying feeling.  Usually to try and lose weight, which is an ongoing battle for me. 

Once again as spring is here, I want to run.  I found a plan, couch to 5k it's called, and supposedly over 9 weeks I can go from being a couch potato to running a 5k, or 30 minutes.  I plan to start in a week, I was supposed to have 3 weeks to get back into walking daily.  But I was sick most of last week so no walks got done.  I will be walking this week, 30 minutes 3 times, at least.  Then I start the jog/walking plan.  I will be starting with just me and the dog, before getting Jackson from daycare.  And eventually I'll do the workouts after dinner with the jogging stroller too. 

My hope is that I will be able to go jogging with baby and dog 3 times a week, and walk the other days.  I want to take the baby and dog to hike in the woods eventually as well on weekends.  I think I will need to upgrade my Ergo to a bigger, toddler carrier.  I have one in mind but it's not cheap.  Not by a long shot.  But being able to carry Jackson in the woods, and hike comfortably would be a nice thing. 

Ultimately the goal is to lose weight, but realistically it's to be healthy.  I want to grow old and enjoy my son, to someday have grandkids and be able to enjoy them as well.  And shorter term I'd like to have another baby, and know that being at a healthy weight would make that easier.  Certainly it would be a lot easier to keep up with my little whirlwind if I weighed less.  Plus it would be good to show him a healthy lifestyle.  He has "bad genes" on both sides with the donor and myself also being overweight, being active will be important for his health. 

I really want to love to run again.  I can still remember the feeling of it, over 25 years later.  I feel this is my time, my chance, and I will enjoy that feeling again.

2 comments:

DannieA said...

ooooohhhhhh I ran 3 marathons and was on my way to a 4th when my child came to me and then it's been over a year and I feel like I want to get back to jogging again with the running group I was in. It is a great feeling to run!

Heather D said...

I want that feeling back, it's been a long time lol, but I know I can do it! And I want to include Jackson in it, so he sees a healthy mommy. Marathons! Not sure I'll be up to that lol, but a 5k I can probably do :)