Monday, June 13, 2011

Diaper dilemas

I've been using cloth diapers since my son was about 7 months, it was the best decision, and I wish I had started sooner.  He is, however, a big boy.  I had a hard time then finding diapers that fit his rise with what I felt was room to grow.  I did manage to find a few I liked, and rarely paid full price for them.  I have yet to find a good over night solution and we use a disposable over night, he still leaks.  I have a selection now, mostly pockets and all in ones, they are the preference of my daycare provider, and easier for me too.  I am however getting worried.

Most of the diapers I have are starting to get a bit low in the rise, and look more like bikini underwear than a proper diaper.  Having a boy, good coverage in front is important.  A couple will still work, my sweetpeas should last awhile, and my one size fuzzibuns might last another 6 months or so.  The mediums, I'll be lucky to get another 2 months out of.  I love my TotsBots AIO's but they will probably only last another 6 months or so, which is sad because they are so cute, so absorbent, and bamboo, so nice and natural.  I know my boy will not be potty trained before 2 1/2 at the earliest, he has no interest, doesn't even seem to know what's going on down there, and never complains if he's wet or dirty.  So I need diapers to last another year.

As an attempt to try something new, that will hopefully fit, I ordered a couple Thirsties Duo pockets in size 2, and AMP AIO's in large.  I ordered from Caterpillarbaby, who was great in answering some questions and recommending the Thirsties.  I wanted to get some happy heiny's but the new fit is an inch shorted in the rise, so there is no way they will last.  I am still on the look out for some of the old style, and hopefully I'll be able to pick a couple up. 

The Thirsties fit really well, they are super cute, and have the same two openings that I love about my sweetpeas.  They come in some nice colours and a couple cute prints.  The prints cost a dollar more but I splurged and got one.  The inserts are great, there are two that snap together, the top one is microfiber and the bottom one is hemp, so you get the best of both, with the microfiber pulling the moisture away quickly, and the hemp holding lots of liquid.  So far they seem to be working really well.  Of course he always poops in the new diapers as soon as I put them on him... but I tricked him and had two!  The second one did hold up to a good 3 hours stretch, no leaks, no red marks, and it looks like he can grow another 2 or 3 inches, though it depends on where those inches are lol, the rise should last. 

The AMPs were great as well.  I was actually surprised as I tried one in the demo I did when I started and did not like it then.  I still do not think I would like the AMP pockets as they look puffy in front, and that's not a good look on a boy.  The AIO's were great though.  They take a long time to dry but are super easy to wash.  I again bought two, and they both stood up to a few hours of pee'ing.  I have a heavy wetter, so this is a big deal to me.  Also, no rashes or anything, so they wick the moisture away nicely.  I don't think I would use one overnight, but as I said, I have yet to find any cloth that will hold up to overnight (and up to 4 bottles between bedtime and overnight).  I like that the AMP's come in a lot of colours, though I don't think any prints, and they don't need to be prepped.  You need to wash them once first of course but not multiple times like the Thirsties inserts. 

I am debating how many I need to get, and how soon.  I am still hoping to get some HH, they are OS which would be good to have for baby number 2.  That is one thing I'm hoping for with all these diapers, that I can use them again on baby number 2.  I might sell a few that I'm not as happy with, and replace them with ones that I really like. 

All in all, using cloth diapers has been a huge learning curve but also incredibly fun.  And actually it is easier in the day to day to use them than I thought it would be.  I wish I had started sooner.  At least I know for next time, and am all set to start. 

No comments: