Wednesday, October 17, 2012

And... we have a biter

Ok so I knew he's a biter, he's bitten me more than once, but I've learned how to avoid it and walk away.  No one at the daycare has mentioned to me that he was having an issue. So it was a surprise to me to be told today that "we have a problem" and he bit a girl (twice), leaving marks, and it's something we need to work on.  It seemed to be implied that he'd be kicked out of daycare if it happened again.

I'm a little upset.  I picked him up just after 4 and he was obviously still upset and quiet about it all, and it happened in the morning, so it's obviously been an issue all day. He had a few accidents as well.  I recognize that biting is an issue, and not acceptable, and if he'd been bit I'd be upset, but I also recognize that he's not even 3 yet!  He is learning to deal with his emotions and what to do when he's angry.  And really they should be helping with this stuff, and perhaps they missed it too. 

Now we need to deal with it, but they didn't tell me how they'd like me to do that.  I mean he hasn't done it to me in awhile since the last time I walked away and went upstairs.  He followed me up crying and saying "I'm not biting now mommy see?" He hasn't done it since. Two people now have told me to bite him back.  So I guess I'll try that next time. I am also going to try and get him to find a new "thing" for when he gets angry.

The funny thing about this is the story he tells of the incident.  He told me he bit her because it was clean up time and he wanted to clean up the toys she was playing with and she wasn't listening.  He also told me he had to sit in the time out chair, and he cried, but the girl he bit didn't.  So how much of the story is true, who knows! But I think it was pretty funny. 

No comments: