Friday, October 5, 2012

Crazy for cats

I think I've mentioned before that I tend to get obsessed with things.  Well now I'm on to cats.  Mea is still with us, and I'm not sure for how much longer but I didn't want to leave Snickers all alone for the long weekend so I've delayed having her euthanized. I still believe it's the best option now, sadly, she has moments when her back legs don't support her, and while I think she has rallied a bit this past week, the long weekend alone without me will be telling.  So we'll see if all this changes when we get home Monday.

In the meantime I have been researching cat breeds.  I have narrowed my list down to 4 breeds, one is very hard to find, one is possibly a little too wild, and the other two are expensive, well all 4 are really lol.  I know people will tell me to rescue a cat from the shelter, I've done that one, and two as strays and I just can't do it again right now.  So the breeds I'm down to Tonkinese, Abyssinian, Ocicat & Bengal.  They are all active breeds who like to play and are interactive.  Which is what I want.  I am not planning to get a new cat any time soon, but am just looking at the options.  I plan to focus on getting my big Snickers down a few pounds before getting him a kitten, though perhaps an active kitten to chase around might help him down a few pounds. 

The Ocicat is the hardest to find, I believe there is a breeder in Montreal but they don't put an email on their website, and I don't like calling, so that is probably out.  Abyssinian's are available from a few places.  They seem to be a little more aloof, not a lap cat at all.  But they are good with kids, and fun.  And a breeder in Ottawa will have some available in late December.  There is a Tonkinese breeder in Kingston and the breed is active, and can be a lap cat.  They are talkative, friendly, and good with kids and other pets.  Finally there is the Bengal, they are possibly a bit more wild than I'd like but it depends I think on the breeder.  They also look pretty wild, which is very cool. 

I've also been looking more into renting.  My problem now is the area of town to move to, not until spring, and what will be available then.  It partly depends on if I can get a job that will allow me to stay at the work location I'm at now, if I can then the area to live in shifts, but if not then it is a bit more limited. Sadly I don't have the money now, there is a great 3 bed, 2 bath place for rent at less than my max, single family, backs onto a park.  It would be awesome, but of course I haven't got the money to move just now, I figure I'll need about $5k to do it, first, last & movers.  The rent of course will be "recovered" in not having to pay again for the first month, and not having to pay where I am for the last month since I put a deposit down.  But having it up front is the problem.  I'll have to do the math again I guess.  Of course I also need to hire movers, I'd have a hard time doing it all myself.  Also I'd want time off to do it, and won't have that until April 1st.  I also need time to purge and let go of things.  That is a tricky bit for me, I have a hard time getting rid of things I may need again someday.  And baby things in particular. 

Having another baby is still something I'd like to do, at some point. But it's difficult to imagine I'll ever have the money, especially if I keep wasting it like I do.  But I am hoping I can do better, I have been doing better at times, and then not so much. 

Any way, everything takes time, but it helps me to write it out and see it in black and white.  Time to get a new cat (or two?) and time to move. All good things come in time.  Sometime soon I hope. 

No comments: